Brociolone or falsomagro: the Sicilian beef roll for important occasionsaprile 14, 2011
“Pasta ch’ i sardi” one of the most famous Sicilian dishes in the worldaprile 22, 2011
Do you know how to prepare peppers in sweet and sour sauce? As you already may know, the sweet and sour sauce is very common in Sicily. Its origin goes back to Middle Age, when the Saracens brought it into the Sicilian cuisine, and it stayed here ever since.
Ingredients & preparation for about 4 people:
– 1 green pepper
– 1 red pepper
– 1 yellow peppers
– 1 small onion
– olive oil
– 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
– 1/3 cup sugar
1. Wash the peppers under running water. With a sharp knife cut them in half and remove all the seeds and the core, then cut in strips like the ones in the picture above. Clean and chop the onion thinly.
2. Put a frying pan on a medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil and the onion. Leave it cook for about 5 min.
3. Add the peppers’ strips and let them cook until become slightly golden, turning them every 5 minutes.
4. Once cooked, pour the vinegar and add the sugar. Stir well using a fork or a spoon, finally add some salt.
5. Leave the peppers into the sauce for 5 more minutes so that they become tasty enough, then remove from heat and place on a serving dish. This side dish can be eaten either warm or hot. Enjoy!